[Eeglablist] CUDAICA: GPU Optimization of Infomax-ICA EEG Analysis

Federico Raimondo fraimondo at dc.uba.ar
Wed Oct 17 06:17:39 PDT 2012

Greetings,

> 1. How much minimal RAM is needed to run CUDAICA ?

It all depends on the size of the dataset. You'll need at least NCHANNELS * NSAMPLES * 8 bytes of both CPU RAM and GPU RAM memory for the dataset. There are also more data structures involved, so keep in mind that if you have a big dataset, it might not fit into the GPU.

> 2. Whether it runs on Mac OS 10.6 ?

It should, but I don't have such version to test on it.

> 3. Whether any of the needed downloads (such as Xcode from Appstore) have a specific cost ?

It's free. Although in Snow Leopard (1.6) you should download it from apple.com

> 4. How to check that whatever graphics card we have is compatible with CUDICA ?

You should check your GPU device in the "System Information" application. Although, if you install CUDA 5.0 toolkit, you will get a CUDA item in the System Preferences pane.

> 5. As per a recent question on eeglab list, is it possible to use similar functionality to speed up other processes
> such as study precomputation in eeglab ?

CUDAICA was developed to speed up the Infomax ICA algorithm developed by Sigurd Enghoff.

I don't know about the study pre computation, but it all depends on the nature of the algorithm, as CUDA has some restrictive memory access patterns.

Regards,
Federico