[Eeglablist] Coherence or Correlation among set of electrodes

Jason Palmer japalmer29 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:27:53 PDT 2012

Hi Iman,

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. It sounds like you might be able to use first
canonical correlation coefficient, which gives the maximum correlation
between univariate projections of the two subspaces. Specifically, if we
have we have two sets of data, either sets of electrodes, or groups of ICA
activations, say in the matrices x and y, where x is size m by N, and y is n
by N. Then xf and yf be the STFTs of x and y at some frequency of interest.
Define,

Sxx = xf * xf' / N;
Syy = yf * yf' / N;
Sxy = xf * yf' / N;

Sxxi = pinv(sqrtm(Sxx));
Syyi = pinv(sqrtm(Syy));

ccf = norm(Sxxi*Sxy*Syyi);

Doing this for various frequencies and plotting ccf as a function of
frequency will show the maximal correlation between the subspaces and how it
varies with frequency.

Best,
Jason