[Eeglablist] Question about ICA components

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:49:40 PDT 2012

Hi Chaitanya,

ICA components do not represent channels (i.e., it is not the case that IC1
represents channel 1). Each independent component represents some pattern
observed in the data (they often correspond to physiological events--like
blinks--or neural events). IC1 is the pattern that accounts for the
greatest variance in the data, IC2 accounts for the second-greatest, etc.
You can find more information by doing a search for introductory articles
about ICA in general or ICA as applied to EEG data. See, for example:

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott/pdf/PSY00.pdf
http://www.measurement.sk/2004/S2/UNGUREANU.pdf
http://www.education.umd.edu/EDHD/faculty/Fox/publications/37.pdf

Best,
Steve Politzer-Ahles

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM, chaitanya bhavaraju <
chaitanya1686 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear EEGLAB users,
>
> I have a question about the ICA components. I am analyzing EEG data
> generated from 32 channels. I obtained the ICA components for that data (31
> IC components). I am interested in analyzing the data from the visual
> cortex. My question is will each ICA component represent data from each
> channel. I have plotted IC1 properties will it represent channel 1
> properties and please let me know where can i get some information about
> Independent Component Analysis.
>
> thank you,
> Chaitanya

Stephen Politzer-Ahles