[Eeglablist] ICA for muscle artefacts from overt responses?

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 19:29:02 PDT 2012

Hi Wout,

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I have seen something like this done
before. See, e.g., experiment 2 of Riès et al. (2011) in *Journal of
Cognitive Neuroscience*<http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/jocn.2010.21467>,
which uses a blind source separation algorithm. Maybe others on the list
with more experience on this might know more about it.

Best,
Steve

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:40 AM, Wout Duthoo <Wout.Duthoo at ugent.be> wrote:

> Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> I ran an EEG experiment in which vocal responses were recorded, so that
> strong muscle artefacts are visible in the EEG signal.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> In general: is it a good idea to run an ICA, identify components related
> to these muscle artefacts and then correct for these (in addition to
> correcting for eye blinks)? Or would it be better not to correct for these
> motor artefacts, given that they will probably average out when calculating
> the grand average?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks in advance!****
>
> ** **