[Eeglablist] Dipole localization and ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 14 16:07:43 PST 2012

Dear Iman,

> 1-      As far as I know, EEGLAB uses ICA components for source localization
> and they claim that each ICA component corresponds to a (or a pair of)
> dipole?

Yes.

> So, if you choose N ICA components, is  each of them fit separately
> ?

Yes.

> in other words, for source localization, does the EEGLAB algorithm
> consider all the selected components at a same time and do localization for
> all of them

Yes.

> – if the presence of one component affects of the location of
> the dipole which corresponds to the other component- ?

This never happens. ICs are constrained to be temporally maximally
independent of each other, but no constraint for spatial location.

> if yes, so, how can
> we say one dipole is associated with one ICA component?

ICA computes scalp maps. Dipole location is computed from the map
using dipfit (or equivalent).

> 2-      Is there any study on the fact that how many dipoles should be
> chosen from N-Channel EEG/MEG recording?

I'm not sure choose for what, but we usually use the residual variance
of 15% after dipole fitting to evaluate the goodness of ICs. Please
see Delorme et al. (2012) 'Independent components are dipolar' PloS
One.

Makoto