[Eeglablist] Dipole localization and ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 14 18:58:08 PST 2012

Dear Iman,

> On the other hand, how could one say that the dipole which is the outcome of
DIPFIT has physiological meaning considering the fact that ICA maps are only
mathematical plots of a 'mapping matrix' .

The theoretical background in using equivalent current dipoles must be
found in Electric Fields of the Brain by Nunez though I'm not familiar
with this topic.

> In other word , how can we find
> physiological meaning of each component by saying that each ICA reflects
> individual and SEPARATE brain process - which is in my point of view far
> from reality of physiology of the brain?

I know what you mean. I also wondered whether or not the assumption of
ICA is too strong. However, empirical evidence shows that ICA on EEG
has been working well (see the history that starts from Makeig, 1996
to Delorme et al., 2012). Probably it depends on scale of measures.
fMRI studies have been successful probably for the same reason
(imagine there were no regional BOLD differences... ) Anyway, if you
want to know more about the rational of the use of ICA on EEG, I
recommend you refer to Makeig and Onton ERP Features and EEG Dynamics:
An ICA Perspective in S. Luck & E. Kappenman (2009). Oxford Handbook
of Event-Related Potential Components. New York, Oxford University
Press.

Makoto