[Eeglablist] How to choose proper High-pass (low-cutoff) filter?

Steve Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Tue Nov 20 16:01:42 PST 2012

In addition to the excellent suggestions provided by others, you may want to read chapter 5 in my book (An Introduction to the Event-Related Potential Technique, 2005, MIT Press).  It provides a description of how filters work in the time domain, which makes it clearer how filters may distort your data.

In general, it is worth keeping in mind that, for transient ERP responses, filters will always distort your data to some extent.  The amount of distortion is sometimes extremely small, and the benefits of filtering may greatly outweigh these small distortions.  However, the amount of distortion can be very large, leading you to wildly incorrect conclusions.  To avoid this, you need to either (a) use very mild filters (wide passband and shallow slopes, or (b) really understand how filters work.  If in doubt, take an artificial waveform that is similar to your data and run it through the filter.  This will allow you to see how the filter is distorting the data.

Steve Luck