[Eeglablist] Shifted rejection boundaries in continuous data

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Tue Nov 20 19:41:56 PST 2012

Hi Maria,

What were the exact functions or menu items that you used to select the periods for rejection?

Similarly, what exactly did you use to remove the periods?

I am interested in this problem because I have caused such things to happen while tinkering with the EEG structure from the command line. The shifting of events from their true position relative to the data can occur if there is overlap among the latency boundaries specified for removal in a call to the eeg_eegrej function, but I have never seen it happen while building latency boundaries or removing continuous data periods using the EEGLab GUI.

For example, If I specify overlapping latency boundaries:

rejarr=[10000 11000;10900 11900];

Then try to remove both of them with one call to eeg_eegrej:

EEG = eeg_eegrej(EEG, rejarr);

I find that all of the events following the rejection period are shifted to the left (relative to their true position) in the data scroll (with the shift distance being equal to the duration of the overlap across the rejarr latency boundaries).

If you are building latency boundaries outside of the EEGLab GUI and using eeg_eegrej to purge them it is crucial that you merge the overlapping latency boundaries.

Again, I am very interested in this topic. I look forward to exploring this further if you have more to add.

James