[Eeglablist] % overlap in newtimef

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 13 16:03:10 PST 2012

Dear Paul,

Your window size = 1000/(lowest frequency) x (number of cycle) not exactly
this though
Number of windows you apply = 'timesout' (default 200 or something)

For example, your epoch being -1000 to 2000, your wavelet is lowest 3 Hz at
3 cycle, and 'timesout', 250. Then,

window size = approximately 1000 ms
your epoch length after wavelet transform = -500 to 1500 (note half of the
window length is lost from both ends because the window end hits the epoch
end)
your time resolution = epoch length after wavelet transform / timesout =
2000 / 250 = 8 ms

This means that your 1000 ms window is overlapped by 992 ms. The actual
window length should be confirmed in the log.

See also http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/TIPS_and_FAQ#Time_Frequency

Makoto

2012/12/13 Paul Kieffaber <pdkieffaber at wm.edu>

> What is the algebra needed to determine the window overlap at a given
> frequency when using newtimef for wavelet decomposition?  In my case, using
> the default cycles parameter [3 .5].
>
> Thank you.
>
> Paul

> Paul Kieffaber, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Psychology &
> Program in Neuroscience
> The College of William & Mary
> (757) 221-1965
> pdkieffaber at wm.edu

JSPS Postdoctral Fellow for Research Abroad