[Eeglablist] epoch extracting

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 11:26:21 PST 2012

Hi Khaled,

The number of epochs to extract depends on what you are interested in
looking at in your data. If you're interested in the response time-locked
to each event (the ERP) then the EEG surrounding each event should be
extracted into separate epochs (i.e. if you have 10 events you would get 10
epochs, one per event). See Luck
(2005)<http://books.google.com/books/about/An_introduction_to_the_event_related_pot.html?id=J_QgAQAAIAAJ>for
more information about ERP data analysis and the purpose of epoch
extraction.

Best,
Steve

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 5:09 AM, Khaled Al-Kamha
<khaled.alkamha at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello
>
> could someone please explain to me a little more about Epoch Extracting in
> terms of how many times should i use the Epoch extracting if i have 4
> events in each run of my dataset
>
> http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Chapter_05:_Extracting_Data_Epochs
>
> i am working on an eeg dataset that consists of several runs on about a
> hundred subjects, each run contains event annotation file and i was
> wondering if i have to execute the epoch extracting on each file, and if
> so, how many epochs should i extract? does it depend on the number of
> events ? or it it one epoch per run ? or does it depend on my need ?
> i am trying to understand a little more about epoch extracting in general
> and its importance to ERP analysis for feature extraction
> this is the dataset i am studying http://www.physionet.org/pn4/eegmmidb/
> any help is really appreciated
>
> Thanks

Stephen Politzer-Ahles