[Eeglablist] epoch for ICA

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:45:27 PST 2013

Hi Jinghao,

Somewhere in the EEGLAB tutorial (I don't remember exactly where), it
says that the longer the epoch is, the better. So not just the target
period (if it's short). What I've usually done is use the [reasonably]
longest epoch that my computer's memory can handle (so it varies a bit
depending on the number of channels in the recording, the sampling
rate, and the number of epochs). I usually use an epoch of 5 seconds
or more, even though my epoch of interest is only about a second.

Best,
Steve

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Jinghao Lu <ljhysc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Here is the question: what's the criterion of choosing epoch for ICA? When
> we epoch for ica, is the duration of the epoch supposed to cover only the
> target period? By target period I mean no other potential cognitive
> components might be included, and thus the epoch may be short. Also, what if
> the epoch is long? Does that mean the valid components will be blurred?
>
> Btw, to use this ica weight on a further time-frequency decompose, is it
> supposed to simply copy the matrices to the long epoch?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ted

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Kansas