[Eeglablist] Extract absolute power using ERSP

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sat Jan 12 23:12:29 PST 2013

Dear Thang,

> 1. Is this the right way to obtain absolute power? Should I even look at ERSP?

Yes, you can look either at ERSP or the spectrum when computing power. The absolute scale might be different but they should be proportional (assuming you calculate them using on the same time range using the same parameters). In fact, for users without the signal processing toolbox, the spectrum is computed using by averaging ERSP power for all time points. The reason absolute scales are different are based on many considerations (power in dB/Hz computed with FFT or wavelet etc...).

You are right to set the baseline to NaN, this avoids computing the baseline and computes the absolute ERS (event related spectrum).
Do this transform first

ersp_abs = 10.^(ersp{1}/10);

to transform back to absolute power, then do whatever else you want to do with the data (I have no idea what you minus 1 and times 100 comes from in ClustERD_cond1 = (10.^(ClustErspData_cond1/10)-1)*100).

> 1a. This is related to the question above: I don't think I can compute the percentage change of Pfurtscheller's ERS/ERD as I have here in the last step above since there is no baseline. Is this correct?

I do not have the detail about this method so I cannot really answer this question. When you have the raw power, you should be able to recompute whatever you need with it including percentage change if you need to.

> 2. Would I be better off looking at power spectra instead?

See 1. ERSP and spectrum should give similar results.

Best,

A. Delorme