[Eeglablist] RA Position in Social/Developmental Neuroscience at San Diego State University

Inna Fishman ifishman at mail.usf.edu
Wed Jan 16 14:32:47 PST 2013

A Research Assistant position in cognitive/social neuroscience and developmental psychology, at the undergraduate, or post-BA level, is available in the Brain Development Imaging Lab (BDIL; http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/bdil/web/BDIL.html) at San Diego State University (SDSU).  Our lab investigates how different parts of the brain are connected and how they work together in typical and atypical development. We work with children and adolescents with autism, trying to understand what happens to the brain when typical developmental processes are disturbed.  Dr. Fishman, who is going to be a primary mentor for the RA, is specifically focusing on investigating social brain circuits, that is, those brain networks that help us navigate – and thrive – in complex social situations as we grow and mature.  Our chief research tools for examining those questions are neuroimaging techniques (including functional MRI and diffusion tensor imaging) combined with comprehensive neuropsychological and behavioral testing.

The person in this position will be responsible for database maintenance, subject recruitment, fMRI data acquisition and, most importantly, for fMRI data analysis.  The ideal candidate will have at least moderate comfort level / previous experience with brain data analysis (e.g., EEG, fMRI) and familiarity with programming and scripting (e.g., some knowledge of Matlab is very helpful).  However, these are not requirements, as we have had many capable students who were able to acquire and profess the necessary skills while working in our lab.  A long-term commitment (at least one year) would be ideal, as the above analytic techniques require extensive training and involve a relatively prolonged learning curve.

Position is available immediately.  To apply, please contact Inna Fishman at 619-574-2299 or ifishman at projects.sdsu.edu.