[Eeglablist] ICA "adds" noise?

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 25 13:20:52 PST 2013

Dear Matt and others,

Note that sometimes there are problems using the rank function.
Because of numerical imprecision, it does not return the actual rank of the matrix.

Before running ICA in pop_runica we compute the rank (on the double precision data)

   tmprank = rank(tmpdata);

and then we double check with another function contributed by Sven Hoffman

   covarianceMatrix = cov(tmpdata', 1);
   [E, D] = eig (covarianceMatrix);
   rankTolerance = 1e-7;
   tmprank2=sum (diag (D) > rankTolerance);

We check if there are the same, and if they are not, we are taking the value which is highest between the two.