[Eeglablist] MEG and EEGLAB survey

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 14 15:15:19 PST 2013

Hi John,

EEGLAB supports most MEG data formats through File-IO. Therefore all the major manufacturers can be imported (CTF, Neuromag, Neuroimaging 4-D).
There is also a native EEGLAB plugin to import CTF data "ctfimport1.03".

MEG data may be processed as EEG data although there is added complexity sometimes. For example, EEGLAB does not differentiate between gradiometers and magnetometers for Neuromag data. So for plotting purposes, you have to tweak the topoplot function to plot either one or the other.

Also, EEGLAB does not support MEG gradient correction so you would have to do that outside of EEGLAB before processing the MEG data in EEGLAB.

For MEG source localization, you can use a custom model in DIPFIT within EEGLAB. You would have to compute the leadfield matrix in the CTF software or using Fieldtrip. However, I doubt a lot of users are using that feature because most MEG users directly use MEG specialized software and do not use EEGLAB when it comes to performing source localization. For MEG source localization, some of the most popular tools include Fieldtrip, Brainstorm, MEG-tools, MEGSIM, NUTMEG, OpenMEG, MNE suite or even Curry. Some of the links on NITRC below

http://www.nitrc.org/projects/fieldtrip
http://www.nitrc.org/projects/cuda_sphere_fwd
http://www.nitrc.org/projects/bst
http://www.nitrc.org/projects/openmeeg