[Eeglablist] running ICA a second time

Veerle ROSS veerle.ross at uhasselt.be
Tue Feb 19 01:36:08 PST 2013

Hi all

For a current study we are applying ICA. Because our lab was not free of noise we wanted to run ICA 2 times and we hope to obtain cleaner components the second time.

After searching the internet and the literature we are still not sure what the limits of such a second ICA run are.

Therefore we were wondering:

1.       Is it even possible to indicate ICA components in both the first and second ICA

a.       We read that you can use the PCA option for this to reduce the dimensions

b.      However why can’t we use ICA the second time?

c.       Other sites mention that you shouldn’t indicate components in the first ICA

2.       If we run ICA 2 times

a.       Should we only remove the noise the first time?

b.      Or should we also already indicated components such as blinks, bad channels, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Veerle Ross