[Eeglablist] Minimum number of electrodes for ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 20 11:44:24 PST 2013

Dear Pauline,

I would say yes because no one would dare to say no. I have 16ch EEG paper
processed with ICA too! Also, from my unpublished observation, 3ch vs 33ch
ICA extracted an identical eye blink compoenent (identical in erpimage
pattern except only for amplitude) so at least it helps you to identify eye
blinks.

Makoto

2013/2/20 Pauline Joussain <pauline.joussain at olfac.univ-lyon1.fr>

> **
> Dear all,
> I am wondering how many electrodes I need to do ICA with EEGlab?
> I conducted an EEG study with 11 electrodes (F3, Fz, F4, C3, Cz, C4, P3,
> Pz, P4 and one electrode for horizontal and one for vertical electro-ocular
> activity).
> Do I have enough channels to do ICA? Is this small number of electrodes
> sufficient to perform an ICA?
> Thanks in advance.

JSPS Postdoctral Fellow for Research Abroad