[Eeglablist] running ICA a second time

Veerle ROSS veerle.ross at uhasselt.be
Mon Feb 25 01:16:02 PST 2013

Dear Arno

Thank you for the advice. May I ask why it?s a problem to run ICA with PCA? There are some references available that recommend to use PCA before ICA.

See for instance;

Leonid Zhukov, David Weinstein and Chris Johnson (2000): Independent Component Analysis For EEG Source Localization In Realistic Head Models.

è The EEG data is first decomposed into signal and noise subspaces using a Principal Component Analysis (PCA) decomposition. This partitioning allows us to easily discard the noise subspace, which has two primary benefits: the remaining signal is less noisy, and it has lower dimensionality. After PCA, we apply Independent Component Analysis (ICA) on the signal subspace.

That?s why we thought that we could use ICA the first time to remove the noise and a second time to remove the remaining artifacts.

Best Veerle