[Eeglablist] baselining using 500ms from the inter-trial interval

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:07:04 PST 2013

Hi Hannah,

I doubt that your baseline is being contaminated by the letter prime--it
starts 900 ms after the presentation of the letter (and 400 ms after the
letter disappears), so the low-level visual responses to the letter should
have been finished by then. It's likely that the issue is just the length
of the baseline (100 ms is pretty short, even though it's used a lot in
language research).

In any case, doing what you are looking for would be easy. When you epoch
the data, just use the onset of the phoneme target as your time-locking
event, and let the epoch limits be [-1.5 x] (where x is however many
seconds you want the epoch go go on after the onset of the target). The
fact that the target's duration is variable is not a problem, since the
duration of the parts of the trial before the target are not variable.
Having the prime and ISI inside the epoch is not a problem, either, if
you're just going to be subtracting the baseline and then analyzing the ERP
after the onset of the target (i.e., the prime and the ISI will get ignored
anyway). I guess it could be a problem if for example you can to do an ICA
decomposition and you don't want the ICA to be contaminated by the
epochs that don't include the prime and then apply the resulting ICA
weights to the larger epochs.

Best,
Steve

Stephen Politzer-Ahles