[Eeglablist] FIR FFT

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Mar 7 06:27:58 PST 2013

Just in case your question referred to the EEGLAB legacy "Basic FIR filter" option "Use (sharper) FFT linear filter instead of FIR filtering" (corresponding to usefft option with pop_eegfilt() on the command line), ignore otherwise:

This particular option does NOT refer to frequency domain filtering as described by Carlos. This option was introduced to allow filtering without MATLAB Signal Processing toolbox. It will convert a rectangular (!) window in the frequency domain to time domain FIR coefficients with an inverse FFT. As a rectangular window is unsuitable for this purpose the resulting filter will introduce considerable filter ringing artifacts into the data. This option should only be used as a method of last resort.

Preferably update to a recent EEGLAB version and use the "Basic FIR filter (new)" which does not depend on Signal Processing toolbox but the firfilt plugin.

Hope this helps,
Andreas