[Eeglablist] How to extract EMG onset time

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 12 15:43:35 PDT 2013

Dear Debnath,

I'm not a EMG guy so let me talk about general thing.
Your approach seems fairly general and ok.
If you find similar EMG activities in multiple channels ICA would work give
you representative ones. It may not gives you better onset detection, but
your data will be better addressed anyways.

Makoto

2013/3/8 Ranjan Debnath <ranjan at psy.otago.ac.nz>

>  Dear EEG Experts****
>
> I was reading old EEGLab archive and found a post related to my problem. (
> http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2008/002456.html). I want to
> make event marker or trigger out of EMG onset time. I want to plot my data
> EMG lock. I was visually adding event marker in EEGLab. However, I have
> read some articles, which reported creating event marker out of EMG onset
> by algorithm. In reply of the above mentioned post, Brad Voytek also
> suggested using an algorithmic method for extracting EMG onsets, “as it's
> much faster, and less likely to be biased.” Is there any specific program,
> software or Plugin for extracting EMG onset time? ****
>
> ** **
>
> I have some questions about EMG data processing:****
>
> ** **
>
> I have collected EMG data simultaneously with EEG data. While I visually
> mark the EMG onset, I process them with rest of 32 channels. For example, I
> change the sampling rate, highpass filter and then scroll the data in
> eegplot() to mark EMG onset. Then I subtract the two EMG channels to
> further process rest of the channels. Is this appropriate procedure?? Or
> alternatively,       ****
>
> ** **
>
> Do I need to subtract two EMG channels first and then process them
> separately to find EMG onset time? Then I import the EMG onset file as
> event marker or trigger in EEGLab GUI.****
>
> ** **
>
> Which of the above process should I follow?? Or should I discard both of
> them?****
>
> ** **
>
> I highly appreciate your suggestions.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanking You ****
>
> ** **
>
> With Regards****
>
> ** **
>
> Ranjan Debnath****
>
> Action, Brain and Cognition Lab****
>
> Department of Psychology****
>
> University of Otago****
>
> Dunedin, New Zealand****

JSPS Postdoctral Fellow for Research Abroad