[Eeglablist] Doubt about provided data (first analysis)

Juan Carlos Haro Vicente jharovicente at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 07:34:49 PDT 2013

Dear EEGLAB list;

This is my first post, I am a student from Spain who is doing a thesis
about signal processing using EEGLAB. First of all, I want to say
thank you for all the info and help that I found here. It has been
provided to me data from different subjects in an experiment about the
process of different languages. Once I export this data to EEGLAB I
have 66 channels of information which look like EEG signals. I extract
my epochs and here, it comes the problems. When I represent the
channel spectra and maps it shows me next picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94067049@N03/8558863353/

Which, as I think, it is very differents from what I have to expect.
If I see a channel, I obtain what I think is normal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94067049@N03/8559971178/

And the channel ERP scalp map shows me a signal without sense:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94067049@N03/8558863377/

After seeing this, I continued with ICA analysis, once I did, I
obtained next result for spectra maps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94067049@N03/8559971126/

Again, far away from what I expected. If I represent components ERP in an array:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94067049@N03/8558863349/

where we can see what it looks like ERPs, but very contaminated by noise.

After say my situation, I would like to ask you if you have any idea
about what it is the problem with the data. I trust your experience
with the software and good management of these situations

Thank you very much
Regards

Juan Carlos Haro