[Eeglablist] Edge artifacts with newtimef (problem with baseline)?

Ana Navarro Cebrian sabato45 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:11:51 PDT 2013

Dear eeglab users,I'm using newtimef to calculate the ERSP. My epochs are -1500 to 2000 ms long, and I'm using the time from -1500 to 0 as a baseline. I've been told that a baseline from -500 to -200 ms would be more optimal to avoid edge-artifacts, since my baseline starts at the same point that the beginning of my epoch (-1500ms).
I don't observe any edge effects in my data (with the -1500 to 0 ms as a baseline), but I don't have other way to verify this and I'd like to make sure of it. Also,  I believe that this is related to the fact that my ERSP plots only show from around -1088ms to 1586ms (instead of -1500 to 2000), but I would like to understand this better.Could anybody explain why I shouldn't worry about edge artifacts when using newtimef to calculate the ERSPs?Many thanks,Ana