[Eeglablist] std_envtopo (plotchans and pvaf)

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 10 17:39:43 PDT 2013

Dear Ana,

>First, I was wondering wether I could use something like the 'plotchans'
(available in envtopo) to compute the contributions in just one or a few
channels of interest. The default function computes the contributions for
the grand ERPs which gives me a lot of variability that I'm not interested
in.

Currently this is not supported. I see how to do it though.
I would suggest that you exclude clusters of non-interest, or specify the
clusters to use, so that your outermost envelope is consist of only
necessary ones.

>Also, I'm still confuse about the pvaf for the individual clusters.
For example, I'm looking for the clusters that explain the P300 variability
and there is a cluster (out of 7 clusters) that seems to me (based on the
cluster's ERP) that explains most of the variability of the P300.
When I run std_envtopo, I get a pvaf of -550.46 for that cluster. First, I
understand that this is not talking about the P300 activity alone, but the
grand average, and this implicates a lot of variance from many areas that
I'm not interested in (and this is the reason why I'm trying to use just a
few channels of interest). Therefore, because what I think is the 'P300
cluster' may have a different signal than all the other activities (that
I'm not interested in), then I get a negative value for this cluster pvaf
(-550.46). Am I getting something wrong so far?

-550.46 should be a number of latency. Where does the line (extending from
the scalp topos) pointing? Isn't it -550.46 ms? If so, you should limit the
latency window to evaluate contribution.

>Also, I imagine that, because this is the percent variance accounted for,
for positive numbers, 100 should be the maximum possible value?

No, actually pvaf never sums to 100% if you add up each clusters. That
means, pvaf(Cls1+Cls2) ~= pvaf(Cls1)+pvaf(Cls2). By the way the default
100% is pvaf(Cls1+Cls2+...ClsN) if you have N number of clusters.

The measure pvaf is always superadditive i.e. exceeds 100% if summed
separately.

Makoto