[Eeglablist] ICA of concatenated subjects?

Louis Renoult Louis.Renoult at douglas.mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 11 10:49:11 PDT 2013

Hi Ana,
 The single subject approach and the group approach have their respective supporters. To sum up:

• Single Subject Approach:
- First, individual ICA decomposition (e.g., 128 ICs by subjects for a 128 channel recording)
- Then, group analysis: clustering of similar ICs based on various criteria: similarity of scalp maps, ERPs, dipole locations, etc.
- Potential difficulties: Processing time (data-overload?), choice of the number of clusters and method of clustering.

• Group Approach:
- First, concatenation of all subjects for each condition
- Then single ICA
- Main Problem: dealing with inter-individual differences in brain anatomy/physiology ("my Cz is not your Cz")
People often run PCA first and retain the largest factors before ICA… which may result in the same difficulty for choosing the number of factors
Eichele et al., (2008, 2009 in International Journal of Psychophysiology): parallel EEG-fMRI ICA,  see also their “Group ICA of EEG Toolbox” (EEGIFT):
http://icatb.sourceforge.net/groupica.htm

Best,
Louis Renoult