[Eeglablist] causal filtering pop_eegfiltnew

Marta Castellano m at martacastellano.eu
Wed Apr 24 02:32:08 PDT 2013

Dear eeglablist,

I would need some help regarding the filtering of EEG data.

I'm currently using the EEGlab 12.0.2.0b and filtering the data with
pop_eegfiltnew, which creates a type 1 windowed synch filter and the
filtering is implemented through firfirlt. As far as I understood, this
leads to a phase shift because of the firfilt, and also, given that the
impulse response of the filter is symetric, the filter is acausal (so that
no causal analysis can be performed).

Does that means that, if i want to get a causal filter i should be using
the 'legacy' version of the pop_eegfilt that uses fir1 and firfirl to
filter the data?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

Marta