[Eeglablist] std_envtopo (plotchans and pvaf)

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Thu May 9 10:50:35 PDT 2013

Makoto -   Cluster envelopes can indeed exceed the scalp ERP bounds -- IF
the clusters contribute activity with different polarities at maximal
projection channels.... whose sum is therefore smaller than the strongest
cluster contribution, not larger...

Scott

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Makoto Miyakoshi <mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu>wrote:

> Dear Ana,
>
> Sorry for slow response.
>
> Thanks Makoto. This is very helpful. I'd still love to be able to choose
>> some channels though; My P300 comes along with an effect of an opposite
>> (negative) signal in the frontal electrodes (I think this happens because I
>> use the average as a reference), and I believe that choosing just some
>> centro-parietal electrodes would give me a better estimate. I'll see if I
>> can try something myself.
>>

> Maybe you want to try my toolbox to backproject cluster ERPs to channels.
> I'll send it to you in the separate mail.
>
> It seems to me that the line is pointing at 559 and what I'm talking about
>> says "pvaf: 550.46. I had limited the latency anyway (from 200 to 600ms).
>> Another example is the cluster close to it, which shows "pvaf: -111.61".
>> This one is also pointing at latency ~559ms. I've attached an example of
>> the output I get from std_envtopo.
>>

> I saw it. It is quite strange indeed. I want to diagnose the situation.
> At least I can tell that your 'outermost envelope' (shown in thick black)
> is surpassed by other envelopes, which is not normal. That is like saying
> some of your clusters have larger values than the sum of all (it's not
> exactly like this but pretty much about it). Can you think of any reason
> why you see this?
>
> If you can't find anything wrong by yourself, I need to ask you to either
> 1. transfer all of your data to our server or 2. video conference by
> sharing your desktop. You can choose whichever you want. Sorry for
> inconvenience.
>
> Makoto
>

> 2013/4/10 Ana Navarro Cebrian <anavarrocebrian at gmail.com>
>
>> >Currently this is not supported. I see how to do it though.
>> I would suggest that you exclude clusters of non-interest, or specify the
>> clusters to use, so that your outermost envelope is consist of only
>> necessary ones.
>>
>> Thanks Makoto. This is very helpful. I'd still love to be able to choose
>> some channels though; My P300 comes along with an effect of an opposite
>> (negative) signal in the frontal electrodes (I think this happens because I
>> use the average as a reference), and I believe that choosing just some
>> centro-parietal electrodes would give me a better estimate. I'll see if I
>> can try something myself.
>>
>> >-550.46 should be a number of latency. Where does the line (extending
>> from the scalp topos) pointing? Isn't it -550.46 ms? If so, you should
>> limit the latency window to evaluate contribution.
>>
>> It seems to me that the line is pointing at 559 and what I'm talking
>> about says "pvaf: 550.46. I had limited the latency anyway (from 200 to
>> 600ms). Another example is the cluster close to it, which shows "pvaf:
>> -111.61". This one is also pointing at latency ~559ms. I've attached an
>> example of the output I get from std_envtopo.
>>
>> >No, actually pvaf never sums to 100% if you add up each clusters. That
> [...]

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott