[Eeglablist] ICA on lowpass / highpass filtered data

Krebber, Martin martin.krebber at charite.de
Thu May 16 07:12:53 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I am currently working on an analysis were I split the data into low and
high frequency portions using a lowpass (cutoff 35 Hz) and a highpass
(20 Hz) filter, respectively. The idea behind this approach is to do the
ICA artefact rejection seperately on low and high frequency data in
order to be better able to reject high frequency muscle artefacts and
obtain a clearer brain signal in the gamma range.

My problem is that, especially with the highpass filtered data, ICA
takes a very long time (roughly 5-10 times the usual) and even then the
decomposition does not look very clean. I tried to reduce the
dimensionality of the data (from 128 to 96) by applying the PCA
parameter in pop_runica and it is way faster. Is it justified, or maybe
even recommended to reduce the data dimensionality after filtering out a
considerable portion of the signal? And if so, is there a rule of thumb
about how much to reduce the data dimensionality?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards,
Martin