[Eeglablist] ICA on lowpass / highpass filtered data

Simon-Shlomo Poil poil.simonshlomo at gmail.com
Thu May 16 15:25:07 PDT 2013

Dear Martin,

As Makoto says, you make the channels less independent of each other.
It might be resonable* to reduce using PCA. One way to determine the
number of relevant dimesions could be
[COEFF, SCORE, LATENT] = princomp(EEG.data');
tmp  = cumsum(LATENT);
nr=find(tmp/tmp(end)>0.975,1);

, which gives you the number of principle components explaining 97.5 %
of the variance.

*you can find previous mails discussing pro-/con-  of PCA reduction on
the this list (I remember there was even a paper in prep? I didn't see
it come out)

Best wishes
Simon

--