[Eeglablist] ICA on lowpass / highpass filtered data

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sat May 18 10:28:30 PDT 2013

Dear Martin and Simon,

I would be careful about pre-processing using PCA. I was just reviewing a PhD thesis (http://infosci.otago.ac.nz/carl-leichter-phd) that showed using simulations and real data that removing PCA components creates artifacts in the data, especially in the power spectrum. The same problem would arise if you run ICA and preprocess using PCA. I would be especially careful if you plan on removing these components from the original data, and then analyze the EEG power spectrum.

Arno