[Eeglablist] Electrodes Values

Eriksen, Jeff :LPH EEG JEriksen at LHS.ORG
Tue May 21 12:43:33 PDT 2013

All:

I believe we should use N, not N-1. This is a physical quantity, not a statistical estimate of some population parameter. If I want the RMS of a time series, I use every time sample and divide by the total number of time samples. If I want spatial global field power, I want to use all N spatial samples as well.

-Jeff Eriksen

-----Original Message-----
From: eeglablist-bounces at sccn.ucsd.edu [mailto:eeglablist-bounces at sccn.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andreas Widmann
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:19 AM
To: Arnaud Delorme
Cc: eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: [Eeglablist] Electrodes Values

Dear Arno,

your notion of "small normalization difference" made me curious where this definition of GFP might originate. Where is it defined with "N - 1 normalization"? Also in ERPLAB GFP appears to be implemented according to this definition.

However, in the original paper by Lehmann and Skrandies (1980) it is either defined as "root of the mean of the squared potential differences between all possible electrode pairs" (formula 1A) gfp = sqrt(1 / (2 * 32) * sum(sum((repmat(tmp(:, 1), [1 32]) - repmat(tmp(:, 1), [1 32])') .^ 2))) (similar to implementation in eeg_gfp.m) or as root mean squared voltage of the average referenced data (formula 1B), with gfp_1A = gfp_1B * sqrt(nChans).

Also some other papers which explicitly define the term use the latter definition (e.g., Brandeis et al., 1992; Roth et al. 1995; Murray et al., 2008; Koenig et al., 2009), that is, normalize by N not N - 1. Shouldn't we possibly better use gfp = std(tmp, 1) % GFP normalized by N to compute GFP?

What is the rationale behind N - 1 normalization? Any ideas?
Thank you! Best,
Andreas