[Eeglablist] Interpolating bad channels while avoiding PCA before ICA

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Thu May 23 05:04:43 PDT 2013

Hi Jeff and list,

> Concerning channel interpolation, I have wondered about using non-linear spatial interpolation, specifically if one can avoid reducing rank by using it.
The interpolation of a channel itself does not reduce the rank, but it also does not increase it. The rank is reduced by the loss of the information encoded in the bad channel. As far as I understand it, it cannot be retrieved by any interpolation. Please correct, if this statement is wrong.

> We all know that linear interpolation is bad in this regard, but the better nonlinear interpolation methods, based on mathematical or physical theory, may provide a way around this. I am thinking of spherical splines, spherical harmonics, or 3D splines. Has anyone out there tried this? I assume most commercial and academic interpolation use linear interpolation, so one would have to make a special effort.
Spherical spline interpolation is essentially a linear operation (the name is somewhat misleading; e.g., when interpolating a channel, the sum of the interpolations of a number of component back-projections is the same as the interpolation of the sum of a number of back-projections).

Best,
Andreas