[Eeglablist] How to compute the CDA in EEGLAB (contralateral delay activity)

Massimiliano Papera massimiliano.papera at googlemail.com
Fri May 24 05:39:50 PDT 2013

es, I am not sure whether or not those formulas are correct. I found this
on the ERP tutorial (see below). Now according to this bit of the tutorial
the formulae we used should be good to get Lateralised readiness potential
waveforms. As far as I know this are waveforms down to motor responsed. Not
sure if you they can be down to CDA. I mean is LRP equal to CDA? if so,
then the formula below has to be right to be used to compute CDA. If not,
then I ve got no clue how to compute the cda.

MP

Specifying subsets of channels

It is also possible to specify different subsets of channels for the
different bins being used in a given equation.  For example, if you are
trying to compute a lateralized readiness potential (LRP) waveform, you
will want to subtract trials with an ipsilateral response from trials with
a contralateral response, averaged across the left and right hemispheres.
That is, you want to make a contralateral average (left-hemisphere
electrode sites for right-hand responses averaged with right-hemisphere
electrode sites for left-hand responses) and an ipsilateral average
(left-hemisphere sites for left-hand responses averaged with
right-hemisphere sites for right-hand response) and compute the difference.

To do this in Bin Operations, you first define sets of electrodes
corresponding to the left and right hemispheres.  Imagine that the
electrode sites 1-6 are as follows 1=F3, 2=F4, 3=C3, 4=C4, 5=P3, 6=P4.  And
imagine that Bin 1 corresponds to left-hand responses whereas Bin 2
corresponds to right-hand responses.  The following shows how you would
define left- and right-hemisphere groups and use them to form a
contralateral waveform (new Bin 1), an ipsilateral waveform (new Bin 2),
and a contra-minus-ipsi difference wave (new Bin 3):

LH = [1 3 5]

RH = [2 4 6]

b1 = (b2 at LH + b1 at RH)/2 label Average Contra

b2 = (b1 at LH + b2 at RH/2 label Average Ipsi

b3 = ((b2 at LH + b1 at RH)/2) – ((b1 at LH + b2 at RH)/2) label Average Contra Minus
Ipsi