[Eeglablist] How can I load the brain vision .dat eeg file

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 13:51:30 PDT 2013

Hi Guofa,

You can do it with the function pop_loadbv() (or in the GUI, File > Import
data > From Brain Vis. Rec. .vhdr file). I think you need to have the .vhdr
and .vmrk file in the same folder as the .dat file--in fact the input you
give to the function is the .vhdr file, not the .dat file.

I think you also need to export it correctly from Brain Vision beforehand;
if you have trouble getting the data into EEGLAB, it's possible that
something was wrong when you did the export from Brain Vision Analyzer (a
wrong option selected, or something). I don't remember what options I had
to specify during the export, because it's all in a macro now and I haven't
looked inside that macro in a long time; but if you can't get it to work,
let me know and I can try to look it up and see.

Best,
Steve

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Shou, Guofa <gshou at ou.edu> wrote:

> Hi, All,
>   I have got a brain vision exported .dat eeg file, and it seems eeglab,
> fieldtrip and Brainstorm, etc. all don't support to load this format file.
> Does anybody has these experience to load the brainvision .dat format file
>  into Matlab? Please let me know, Thanks.
> Shou
>
> Guofa Shou, PhD.
> University of Oklahoma.

Stephen Politzer-Ahles