[Eeglablist] Removing ICs and average reference after that

ida miokovic ida.miokovic at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 02:07:13 PDT 2013

Dear List,

I have 2 questions:
1. when I am performing "Remove components" from the data set (Independent
Components that I selected manually): Tools -->Remove Components, the pop
up window appears with
Components to remove from data and
Components to retain (overwrites "Components to remove")

The fact is that in both text boxes, there are numbers of components that
are selected for rejection, so I am a little bit confused here - I suppose,
I should keep the numbers in text box for "Components to remove" and delete
them from text box of Components to retain. This way I am deleting selected
components and retaining the rest of them right?

2. 2a) Is it ok if I after ICs rejection do the average reference of the
data which was not performed before ICA?
    2b) Is it acceptable if l perform some data rejection (in channels
domain) by selecting a bad parts of the data? I did not have any medical
knowledge before performing ICA so I did  not perform any manual rejection
of data because I was afraid that I will remove useful data. Now, after
obtaining ICs and probably after their removal it will be the same
situation - I have some parts of the data that I can recognize as movement,
touching electrodes or similar...

Thanks

Ida