[Eeglablist] Ground electrode location

Darren Tanner dstanner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 06:49:47 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Can anyone let me know if it's problematic to place the ground electrode over one hemisphere (rather than, say, the midline)? Due to convenience reasons, we may be ordering some caps which have the ground electrode over a right hemisphere site. My understanding is that the location of the ground electrode on a conventional EEG system should not matter (in contrast to the location of the reference electrode, which does matter), but I wanted to be sure that putting it on the right hemisphere would not introduce any hemisphere asymmetries in the effects.

Thanks!
Darren

Darren Tanner, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Scholar
Bilingualism and Language Development Lab
Center for Language Science
Department of Psychology
Penn State University