[Eeglablist] EEG ground

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 09:36:42 PDT 2013

Hi Michele,

You may be interested in checking out the discussion "Ground electrode
location" that happened on this list a few days ago. Basically, the ground
location probably does not matter (but see Jeff Eriksen's message there for
some more information); what matters is the reference location (but you can
mathematically re-reference anywhere offline). I suppose it might matter if
there's an electrode you're interested in looking at but that electrode is
being used as a ground rather than recording data; if you're interested in
ERN/FRN, however, then I am guessing Cz is more posterior than the
electrodes you're most interested in.

Best,
Steve

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Michele Barsotti <nomeserio at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear EEG experts,
>  I would like to acquire some datasets for investigating a potential
> located in the frontal medial line (like the Error Related potential, e.g.
> ErrP and ERN) and I'm doubtful about the ground position.
> I always locate the "reference" electrode on the ear lobe with a clip and
> the ground in the Cz electrode. But, in this case, I want to check the
> presence of a potential  located in the midline frontal and I think that
> the ground on Cz isn't the best solution.
>
> Some experimenters use forehead ground to investigate the ErrP and other
> ones use the mastoid ground.
> I've got a maximum of 32 electrodes (I'm specifying this for the common
> average reference issues).
>
> Can anyone suggests me what is the best ground location?
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> --
>         -Michele-

Stephen Politzer-Ahles