[Eeglablist] sift and phase

Iman M.Rezazadeh irezazadeh at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:25:05 PDT 2013

Hi EEGLABers,

I have been thinking about this issue. Basically, we transfer the data from
the sensor space to the source space to deal with the volume conductance
problem and also dealing with less signal sources to create MVAR model. If
we do MVAR model on electrode space then one might ask question about which
electrode(s) to select and how to deal with VC problem? Also doing
connectivity study on the sensor space might fraught with challenges in
interpretation and high false positive rates.  It has been shown that the
combination of MVAR+BSS works compared to either BSS-alone or doing granger
causality on the senor space.

In addition , I have come up with an idea about the relation of Causality in
the source space and sensor space:

X(t)=M.S(t); where X(t) is the time series of Sensor space data for all
electrodes and M is the Mixing matrix

S(t+1)=R S(t) +N(t) ; R is the Relationship Matrix btw Sources and N is the
Noise matrix

M-1X(t+1)= R.M-1.X(t)+M-1N(t);

X(t+1)=M.R.M-1.X(t)+N(t);

X(t+1)=R'.X(t)+N(t);

So,

1-     the amount of the noise in the senor and source spaces does not
change .

2-     On the other hand there is a relationship btw Relation matrices in
the sensor and source spaces which is M.R.M-1=R'. In general, R<> R' but one
can define M to have R=R'.

3-     The point is in the source space you can great R with a few number of
dipoles however in the electrode space the relationship btw the electrodes
is not clear, but I it might be the case that the electrodes that have high
mixing values are more correlated to each other ( it needs some simulation
and test).

4-     I think calculation coherence in the sensor space makes more sense
but if we want to do causality analysis and MVAR modeling source space is
more applicable. So, the 'elimination' of phase relationship in the sensor
space may cause alternation in coherence but it does not do anything with
the causal relationship btw  sources and in given condition electrodes.

These are my thought and would be happy to hear more comments !

Best,

Iman