[Eeglablist] .datspec freq bins and epoch size

Mikołaj Magnuski imponderabilion at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 17:56:42 PDT 2013

Hi Steven,

Frequency resolution depends on window size, so what you're seeing is
normal.
However, for visualisation purposes you can interpolate the spectrum (which
is implemented by zero-padding your data to some desired length) - EEGlab
functions allow to specify the degree of this smoothing.
For example you can control the zero-padding in spectopo function with
'nfft' (specific length to zero-pad the data to).
By specifying 'nfft' to be two times the number of samples in your analysis
window you increase the frequency resolution twofold (although you have to
remember that this is not a genuine increase in frequence resolution but an
interpolation).

Also, see the help messages to pop_spectopo and spectopo functions.

For time-frequency you can use the 'nfreqs' key in newtimef.m to control
the frequency resolution