[Eeglablist] .datspec freq bins and epoch size

Mikołaj Magnuski imponderabilion at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 11:03:11 PDT 2013

Unfortunatelly, that's the basic time/frequency trade-off - if you want to
resolve frequencies that are closer than your frequency resolution
you need a longer singnal sample (longer analysis window).
At least this is the case for standard methods like FFT.

There are also so-called 'parametric' methods that are said to overcome
some of the limitations of the classical methods (see for example MUSIC
algorithm), but are less general (require some prior knowledge about the
signal). I have never used any of these methods however, so I cannot
tell you more than that they exist :)

And then - it depends on what you are trying to examine in the signal.
Maybe extending analysis window and/or using padding will be satisfactory.

Pozdrawiam,
Mikołaj Magnuski