[Eeglablist] ICA component potentially related to tongue movement?

Jyrki Tuomainen j.tuomainen at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 9 03:55:52 PDT 2013

Hi all,
our group has collected data in three different conditions (passive
listening of syllable [da] (1 sec between trials), overt production of
[da] in synchrony while listening to [da], and tapping in synchrony when
listening to [da]). The idea is to look at how simultaneous motor
activity affects N1/P2 responses to compare the effect of these
manipulations on brain stem responses (especially FFR).

The cortical data for some subjects is really noisy especially at around
the stimulus onset), and my take is that simultaneous motor activity
might synchronise eye movements with stimulus presentation on many
trials. I've used ICA to track these down, and based on the component
maps this seems to be the case. However, as tongue movement creates a
largish dipole I was wondering whether component 3 in the production
condition might reflect this rather than alpha type oscillatory activity
(which is suggested in the component map). I'd be grateful for any
comments on this!
The plots are available at
http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~sslyjjt/ICA/ICA_01_prod_perception.pdf

Thanks in advance, best wishes, -Jyrki