[Eeglablist] ERSP Conversion: dB to Microvolts-squared

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 7 20:44:08 PST 2013

Dear Chen,

The power spectrum returned in EEGLAB is in unit 10*log10(uV^2/Hz) - see spectopo function output and plot for example.

In Wikipedia you can read below "The number of decibels is ten times the logarithm to base 10 of the ratio of the two power quantities"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

So when you compute ERSP and compute the ratio between spectral power at a given time/frequency point and power in the baseline, then take the log10 times 10 (as above), so you actually compute power ratio in dB.

Hope this helps,

Arno