[Eeglablist] Are the results more significant on the scalp or inside brain?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon May 12 18:14:18 PDT 2014

Dear Michal,

That's a simple but deep question.
Theoretically the difference between condition can't be smaller in ICA
recults since canceling happens in the mixing process and not the other way
around (like the law of entropy?)

However, I believe a major problem in comparing channels with ICs is
component selection. The question is how you guarantee that the ICs you
choose is a right representative (projecting source) to the channel? What
if some subject don't have such ICs? What if some subjects have multiple of
such ICs (subspace)?

One way to investigate this problem is run pvaf analysis (you have pvaftopo
under EEGLAB plugin manager)
I have an experience of computing the pvaf analysis across subjects per
cluster (unpublished data), and the result showed very large standard
deviations... it was like mean 30% and SD=30, range 5-80. This means a
cluster can explain a channel activity (in my result, of course) only by
30%, and there are huge inter-subject variance.

This being said, I think it is still ok to stay optimistic and take the
theoretical conclusion. You haven't observed horrendously contradicting
results, have you?