[Eeglablist] When to perform re-reference?

Stephen Politzer-Ahles spa268 at nyu.edu
Thu Jun 19 00:56:21 PDT 2014

Hi Jerry,

If you're using average reference, bad channels should definitely be taken
care of first, otherwise they'll affect the reference. I've also heard it
recommended that referencing should be done before ICA (see e.g.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2013/006511.html). I've heard
mixed things about channel interpolation and ICA (see e.g. the message
linked above).

As for removing bad epochs, it depends what you mean by bad epochs. ICA
shouldn't include some kinds of noise, so for example you should remove
periods of data where the participant was resting between blocks or things
like that. But typical artifacts, like blinks, can probably be left in
since they will probably result in a separate ICA component (especially if
you mean to remove that component later).  So my recommended order would
probably be: interpolate channels, re-reference, run ICA, remove bad epochs.

Best,
Steve

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
New York University, Abu Dhabi