[Eeglablist] Using the 'command' field of eeg_plot to reject trials

Matthew Moore matthew.moore at otago.ac.nz
Wed Jul 2 03:53:18 PDT 2014

Thanks for your help Mikolaj and Makoto!

I am very aware of the dangers of global variables, it is unfortunate that they seem so difficult to avoid in Matlab!

I have created a version using evalin , here it is in case it comes in handy for someone. It is not fully tested, so user beware :)

function cleanedEEGData = detectArtefacts(eegData,threshold,slope,jp,dist,spec)
%DETECTARTEFACTS Detects artefactual data using EEGLAB's functions, then
%   displays the data in a plot for the user to check.
%   Returns the eegData with artefactual trials removed.

    %Absolute limit of electrode values in uV
    if nargin<2
        threshold=[];
    end
    lowerLimit=-150;
    upperLimit=150;

    %Maximum slope over an epoch in uV/epoch
    if nargin<3
        slope=[];
    end
    maxSlope=60;
    rVal=0.3;

    %Reject unlikely epochs, by number of SDs
    if nargin<4
        jp=[];
    end
    sdJPSingleChan=4;
    sdJPAllChans=4;

    %Reject abnormal distributions, by number of SDs
    if nargin<5
        dist=[];
    end
    sdKurtSingleChan=4;
    sdKurtAllChans=4;

    %Reject abnormal spectra
    if nargin<6
        spec=[];
    end
    thresholds=[-50 50;-100 25];
    frequencies=[0 2;20 40];

    epochLength=eegData.xmax;
    epochTimeFrames=eegData.pnts;
    sampleRate=eegData.srate;
    events=eegData.event;
    nElec=eegData.nbchan;

    %Do the error detecting and get the format for marking trials in
    %eegplot
    if ~isempty(threshold)
        eegData=pop_eegthresh(eegData,1,1:nElec,lowerLimit,upperLimit,0,epochLength,1,0,0);
        plotRejThr=trial2eegplot(eegData.reject.rejthresh,eegData.reject.rejthreshE,epochTimeFrames,eegData.reject.rejthreshcol);
        eegData.comments = pop_comments(eegData.comments,'',['Filtered by pop_eegthresh, lowerLimit = ' num2str(lowerLimit) ',upperLimit = ' num2str(upperLimit)],1);
   else
        plotRejThr=[];
    end
    if ~isempty(slope)
        eegData=pop_rejtrend(eegData,1,1:nElec,epochTimeFrames,maxSlope,rVal,1,0,0);
        plotRejTre=trial2eegplot(eegData.reject.rejconst,eegData.reject.rejconstE,epochTimeFrames,eegData.reject.rejconstcol);
        eegData.comments = pop_comments(eegData.comments,'',['Filtered by pop_rejtrend, maxSlope = ' num2str(maxSlope)],1);
    else
        plotRejTre=[];
    end
    if ~isempty(jp)
        eegData=pop_jointprob(eegData,1,1:nElec,sdJPSingleChan,sdJPAllChans,1,0);
        plotRejJp =trial2eegplot(eegData.reject.rejjp,eegData.reject.rejjpE,epochTimeFrames,eegData.reject.rejjpcol);
        eegData.comments = pop_comments(eegData.comments,'',['Filtered by pop_jointprob, sdJPSingleChan = ' num2str(sdJPSingleChan) ',sdJPAllChans = ' num2str(sdJPAllChans)],1);
    else
        plotRejJp=[];
    end
    if ~isempty(dist)
        eegData=pop_rejkurt(eegData,1,1:nElec,sdKurtSingleChan,sdKurtAllChans,1,0,1);
        plotRejKur=trial2eegplot(eegData.reject.rejkurt,eegData.reject.rejkurtE,epochTimeFrames,eegData.reject.rejkurtcol);
        eegData.comments = pop_comments(eegData.comments,'',['Filtered by pop_rejkurt, sdKurtSingleChan = ' num2str(sdKurtSingleChan) ',sdKurtAllChans = ' num2str(sdKurtAllChans)],1);
    else
        plotRejKur=[];
    end
    if ~isempty(spec)
        eegData=pop_rejspec( eegData, 1,'elecrange',1:30,'threshold',thresholds,'freqlimits',frequencies,'eegplotcom','','eegplotplotallrej',1,'eegplotreject',0,'specdata',eegData.specdata);
        plotRejSpe=trial2eegplot(eegData.reject.rejfreq,eegData.reject.rejfreqE,epochTimeFrames,eegData.reject.rejfreqcol);
        eegData.comments = pop_comments(eegData.comments,'',['Filtered by pop_rejkurt, threshold = ' num2str(thresholds) ',freqlimits = ' num2str(frequencies)],1);
    else
        plotRejSpe=[];
    end
    assignin('base', 'EEG', eegData);
    evalin('base','detectArtefactsFinished=0;');

    %command string for reject marked trials... all marked epochs...
    %adapted from http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2011/004085.html
    cmd = [ ...
    '[tmprej tmprejE] = eegplot2trialMod( TMPREJ,' num2str(eegData.pnts) ',' num2str(eegData.trials) ');' ...
    'EEG = pop_rejepoch(EEG, tmprej, 1);' ...
    'detectArtefactsFinished=1;' ...
    ] ;

    rejE=[plotRejThr;plotRejTre;plotRejJp,plotRejKur,plotRejSpe];
    %Draw the data.
    eegplot(eegData.data,...
        'srate',sampleRate,...
        'events',events,...
        'winrej',rejE,...
        'command',cmd,...
        'butlabel','Reject');

    %Wait until the user has finished reviewing.
    reviewFinished=0;
    while ~reviewFinished
        reviewFinished=evalin('base','detectArtefactsFinished');
        pause(0.01);
    end
    evalin('base','clear detectArtefactsFinished');

    cleanedEEGData=evalin('base','EEG');
end