[Eeglablist] ICA for artifact removal with few channels

Samaneh Valipour samanehvalipour61 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 21:13:10 PDT 2014

Dear David,
You said "use ICA with so few channels for artifact rejection ",
Is that possible even with two EEG and two EOG channels? Because just these
channels are available in my dataset and I whould like to know can I apply
ICA for OA removal on this dataset?

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Becky Prince <becky.prince at york.ac.uk>
wrote:

>  [image: Boxbe] <https://www.boxbe.com/overview> This message is eligible
> for Automatic Cleanup! (becky.prince at york.ac.uk) Add cleanup rule
> <https://www.boxbe.com/popup?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boxbe.com%2Fcleanup%3Ftoken%3DNj9tWiAgHOrjTUVty%252F29O11aW7YOJ1dGnKfBU0px54YP3zzBJWVMJ3b9OtmhCajkBQPPDUG3dYfqRhMMeuzAPq2LY%252FZ%252Bfgbsk1saMvD1JdSSfBN6hEQ%252FwNo8wLo4heVGgH%252FbbwKToaRqf7wc669C9g%253D%253D%26key%3DqmHvIBWgZQpJDQUHeQYMRcvy8CA9vZ6gJoV97GCzJh4%253D&tc_serial=18972956088&tc_rand=1230614522&utm_source=stf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ANNO_CLEANUP_ADD&utm_content=001>
> | More info
> <http://blog.boxbe.com/general/boxbe-automatic-cleanup?tc_serial=18972956088&tc_rand=1230614522&utm_source=stf&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ANNO_CLEANUP_ADD&utm_content=001>
>
> Thanks very much for the response, David!

> Becky Gilbert (nee Prince)
> PhD Researcher
>
> http://www.york.ac.uk/psychology/staff/postgrads/becky.gilbert/
> Lab C120
> Department of Psychology
> University of York
> Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, UK
>
> On 16 October 2014 19:10, David Groppe <david.m.groppe at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You can still use ICA with so few channels for artifact rejection, Becky.
>> It should successfully extract large artifacts like blinks and eye
>> movement.
>>    cheers,
>>       -D
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Becky Prince <becky.prince at york.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> I'm working on a frequency analysis of resting EEG with relatively few
>>> channels (6 scalp, 2 mastoids, 2 EOGs), and I'd like to be able to extract
>>> reliable estimates of low frequency power.  In previous analyses I have
>>> used ICA to remove artifacts, but this was with 64-channel data.  Has
>>> anyone used ICA for artifact removal with a low-density channel array, or
>>> could anyone recommend resources on pipelines for this type of data and
>>> analysis?
>>>
>>> If ICA can't be used with this data, then I suppose the alternative is
>>> to remove segments containing artifacts, and then only analyse the
>>> remaining segments that are long enough to extract an estimate of the
>>> lowest frequency (e.g. ~1.5 seconds for a minimum frequency of 2 Hz).  Is
>>> this correct, or is there a better approach?
>>>
>>> Sorry that this is not strictly an EEGLAB question.  I am doing the
>>> analysis in EEGLAB so any EEGLAB-specific tips would be appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Becky
>>>
>>> Becky Gilbert (nee Prince)
>>> PhD Researcher
>>>
>>> http://www.york.ac.uk/psychology/staff/postgrads/becky.gilbert/
>>> Lab C120
>>> Department of Psychology
>>> University of York
>>> Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, UK

>>> For digest mode, send an email with the subject "set digest mime" to
>>> eeglablist-request at sccn.ucsd.edu
>>>

>> --
>> David Groppe, Ph.D.
>> Laboratory for Multimodal Human Brain Mapping
>> Feinstein Institute for Medical Research
>> Manhasset, New York
>> http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~dgroppe/

*With very kind regards,*

*Samaneh .Valipour*

PhD research student: DOES_UOP_INDIA
*Post address:  *University of Pune,
                           Pune Ganeshkhind,
                          Pune-411007 ,
                           Maharashtra, (India) *
Phone nos :*+91-20-25699841+91-20-25699841,+91-20-25691256+91-20-25691256,
+91-20-25601419+91-20-25601419

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype