[Eeglablist] Parallel Data Processing

James Desjardins jdesjardins at brocku.ca
Tue Nov 4 06:09:46 PST 2014

Hi Richard,

It sounds like you are interested in serial farming matlab scripts that use EEGLAB functions, where each worker will be doing something completely independent (e.g. load at file, then run ica, then save a file). So they can be run at the same time (or at different times, it does not really matter).

So with a parfor loop you would do something like:

parfor i=1:lenght(filenamelist)
    load in filename i
    run ica
    save out filename i
end

I have done this kind of thing with EEGLAB and Matlab PCT (version R2010b, on SHARCNet Linux clusters). EEGLAB does not have a problem with this.

If this is the kind of serial farming that you are interested in I recommend trying to run all of your serial scripts in Octave. You can run as many instances of Octave as you want on a cluster (until the hardware is saturated) and EEGLAB functions are very compatible with Octave execution (EEGLAB functions run in Octave with no modifications if you call octave with the --traditional option... also the Octave equivalents for the Signal and Statistics toolboxes are readily available).

James Desjardins, MA
Electrophysiology Technologist
Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Lab, Psychology Department
Jack and Nora Walker Centre for Lifespan Development Research
High Performance Computing Consultant
SHARCNet, Compute/Calcul Canada

Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave.
St. Catharines, ON, Canada L2S 3A1
905-688-5550 x4676
--
"'Cause you never can tell What goes on down below!
"This pool might be bigger Than you or I know!"

McElligot's Pool
Dr.Seuss 1947