[Eeglablist] Error with spectopo

Ramón Martinez nucleuscub at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 14:49:32 PST 2014

Hi James,
Can you please submit a bug report to Bugzilla (
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/bugzilla/) so we can take a look in this?
 It would be good if you can provide us a piece of data good enough to
replicate the issue in our environment, as well as a detailed description
on how to reproduce it.
 Thanks,
 Ramon

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM, James Bonello <jamesbonello9 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi EEGLablist,
>
> I am trying to calculate the PSD value for a range of frequencies, for 23
> channels. I do this for 1799 epochs, for 42 hours. I will then repeat this
> for 24 patients. I am using CHB-MIT EEG data.
>
> I implemented a for loop which calls the spectopo function and stores the
> required values in a 23 x 1799 x 42. Indeed, the for loop, loops over the
> number of hours and for each hour it loops over the number of epochs and
> then for each channel, the spectopo function is called and the values are
> stored accordingly.
>
> Spectopo gets the required psd values well even though this is taking
> hours to calculate (have not considered parallelisation yet), but during
> the 25th hour this error that I don't know how to fix pops up:
>
> Improper assignment with rectangular empty matrix.
>
> Error in spectopo (line 471)
> reallimits(1) = min(min(eegspecdB(:,minfreqidx:maxfreqidx)));
>
> I tried to see if there was anything wrong with the data for the 25th hour
> but everything seems fine. Taking a look at line 471, I couldn't find
> anything out of the ordinary but then again I found it hard to understand
> what exactly is happening during this line. Moreover, the "Improper
> assignment" error does not make sense, I was not trying to assign an empty
> matrix anywhere in my code. In fact the 23x1799x42 matrix assignment
> happens outside of the code. Can anyone please shed any insight on this
> matter? I will greatly appreciate any help given!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> *James Bonello*