[Eeglablist] about the notch filter in function pop_eegfilternew()

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 4 09:34:54 PST 2014

Dear Hui-bin,

I agree with Ramon. Your first choice should be CleanLine.
However, from my experience I know if 50/60Hz artifact is too large,
CleanLine does not work well. In this case you may want to use filter. You
can use a notch filter as you described, but I would rather apply a simple
low-pass filter to simplify data.

Another tip: you can design a filter from "sinc...." menu to make the
filter cut-off slope steep so that when you cut off 50Hz you can set 49Hz
as a -6dB cut-off point with transition bandwidth of 2Hz (which makes freq
response flat up to 48Hz, if I understand it correctly) for example. See
below for details.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Firfilt_FAQ

Makoto