[Eeglablist] when to re-reference

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 4 11:44:28 PST 2014

Dear Bin,

> My question is if the re-reference step must be done before epoch the
data and artefact removal.

If you have crazy channels you have to remove them first and then
rereference to average. Epoching has nothing to do with rereferencing.

I have glanced that Christian Kothe uses robust mean for computing average
reference. Maybe it is supported in BCILAB?

> Because I want to do all of preprocessing steps and artefact removal, and
then apply several different re-reference selections, by this way I don’t
need to do all of preprocessing steps again. Does it sound fine?

I'm not quite sure what you try to do.

> Is there any other artefacts or problems that will be induced by the
re-reference of last step.

Re-reference makes the data rank-deficient by one.

Makoto